This recipe is a mix of my favorite Granola found at Me & Ollie’s in Portsmouth, NH and healthy “cookies” my hair stylist at Balayage in Hillsdale, NJ made. I made it vegan and nut free for my son, without any sacrifice in taste. (If you have nut allergies proceed with caution with the coconut oil and seeds. My son has tree nut allergies but is not allergic to the coconut oil and seeds.)
The sweet, tart crunchiness is a result of all natural, recognizable, whole ingredients. And because of the wholesome ingredients, I feel good about giving this honey sweet treat to my kids.
What you’ll need
whole oats, 2 cups
dark chocolate chips, 1 cup (vegan)
flax seeds, 1/4 cup
sesame seeds, 1/4 cup
sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup
honey, 1/4 cup
molasses, 1 tablespoon
coconut oil, 1/4 cup
vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon
sea salt, 1 teaspoon
optional – dried cranberries, 1 cup (mix in after cooking)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all the ingredients together, except for the cranberries, honey, coconut oil, molasses and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, coconut oil, molasses and vanilla.
4. Mix the honey-coconut oil blend with the other ingredients, folding together with a spoon or your hands. Scoop out onto a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and flatten out.
5. Bake for 12-18 minutes or until browned, but not burned. Start checking it at 12 minutes and remove when edges are starting to brown. Let cool, break into smaller pieces, add cranberries, and enjoy. Bon Appetit!